list cover  Jane Cope    
     
 

 

Ullage & Spillage
Ullage & Spillage
Ullage & Spillage
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

sangiovese

 

Italy's most planted red grape and the mastermind variety behind Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, Vino Nobile di Montepulciano and a whole host of Supertuscans. Lesser clones of sangiovese can be found over most of Italy, especially in Umbria, Marches and Latium where it is a real workhorse variety, lacking the body and finesse of the Tuscan sangiovese piccolo. Its literal translation as 'Blood of Jove' gives some indication as to the length of its history in Italy; however it is only in the last century that the varying qualities of the clones was understood and utilised. The wines are noted for being perfumed with bitter cherry notes, high acidity and dry tannins. Better examples have a good capacity to age with great elegance.

 

It must make up a minimum of 85% of the Chianti blend, the remaining 15% being traditionally canaolo, or more modernly, cabernet sauvignon. Beyond Italy it has found some proponents in California, on the back of the success of the Supertuscan developments of the 1980s and 1990s, where it is being grown with increasing success.

 

close

 
     
 

 

execellars
exeter, devon
tel 0800 0838 075
email wine@execellars.co.uk

© execellars 2002-9

All rights reserved